1. Boot the system from boot disc, once the system has successfully booted from the ISO image and Linux boot screen will appear.
Type: “linux rescue” without the quotes, and hit enter at the prompt.
2. Select language and keyboard
3. Select: “No” when prompted to enable the network devices on the system.
4. Select: “Skip” when prompted to allow the rescue environment to mount Linux installation under /mnt/sysimage directory.
5. If you are not using LVM, execute fsck on the device which contains the filesystem:
eg: # e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
If you are using LVM, you will need to activate the volumes in order to scan them.You perform this task with LVM scans.
# lvm pvscan
# lvm vgscan
# lvm lvscan
# lvm lvdisplay
# lvm vgchange -ay
# e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/VG00/LogVol00
6. Exit the rescue mode and boot the system normally.